Our Work in Vietnam
About 30 years ago, the Communist Party of Vietnam embarked on reforms of the country’s socialist system. This has led to economic improvements and a general rise of living standards for the Vietnamese population. However impressive socio-economic changes during the past three decades might have been, Vietnam’s system is still characterized by one-party rule, deficiencies in the freedoms of press and opinion, and the rule of law.
FNF’s work in Vietnam is based on a framework agreement between the Foundation and the Vietnam Union of Friendship Organizations (VUFO) and focuses on the following areas:
Development of Vietnam’s Market Economy
The focus of the Foundation’s work in this area is the support of a social market economy in Vietnam. FNF collaborates with think tanks and research institutes at universities in order to identify the root causes of economic development issues and to present liberal regulatory concepts to remedy these issues.
Examples of FNF’s work are:
- A research project in collaboration with four renowned economic think tanks (CIEM, VCCI, VEPR and VIE) to assess key indicators of Vietnams economic performance and to provide policy proposals to improve economic competitiveness. The results of this extensive project were presented to decision makers in Hanoi in 2014 and 2015.
- A conference series in cooperation with the University of Economics and Business on the ASEAN Economic Community and its impact on Vietnam’s economy.
- Yearly cooperation with VCCI to create annual competitiveness studies of Vietnam’s economy on a provincial level and the economic performance of the private sector in Vietnam’s provinces
- Support of the Central Economic Committee of the Communist Party in event series and research on FTAs and their impact on Vietnam
- Support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam in organizing and facilitating academic exchange on economic topics with Germany
Journalism and Civic Education
FNF supports the Vietnam Institute of Economics and Policy Research in organizing yearly Summer Schools for students and young journalists. These Summer Schools aim at teaching a deeper understanding of market economy and mechanisms.
In the field of civic education, FNF cooperates with PACCOM in designing and conducting training seminars for NGO staff in order to improve internal administrative processes, as well as in conducting studies in the field of public diplomacy.
Support of Liberal Thinking
In cooperation with Knowledge Publishing House, FNF has published various books on liberal socio and economic policy issues. Apart from classical liberal works, such as the ones of Friedrich Hayek or Ludwig von Mises, contemporary books of authors like Hermann Simon and Ken Schoolland have been translated into Vietnamese and published.
Additionally, FNF supports “F-Group”, a number of young liberals in Vietnam who make available in Vietnamese essays and books on economics and liberal politics.